Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Should

Today, I should have written a profile of my mother, the weaver who influenced me most, as my blog entry. But I don't have the right photos, so I'll wait until next week to tell you her story.

Today, I should do yard work. But I drank too much wine at the Bistro by the Tracks wine dinner last night and my head hurts and I don't want to go out in the (relative) cold and work, though I might later. Leo has the right idea, just curl up on a chair near a heater vent and take a nap.

I believe what I will do is work on the lace towels, since I only have enough warp to make 1 or 2 more, and that way, I won't feel so badly about the things I should do by actually, possibly accomplishing something. I confess that I will miss this project, even though
I'm already dreaming of what to do next.

I love the slow rhythm of picking up the threads, the happy surprise of the twists appearing on the throw after the picking, charting a design and watching it become reality.
To the right is the design in progress. Below is the finished design, my initials with little scrolls on either side. Since I think this is probably the second to the last towel, I decided to make one of my own, as most are going to be gifts. The other end of the towel will be interlocked hearts. In between will be 20 inches of --wheeeee!!!-- plain weave. It's kind of like hiking up a steep slope, getting to the top, looking around and hiking down the other side, only to reach the next slope.



Putting off the yard work also got me inspired to do something else I should have a done a really long time ago, my hand laundry. It's been piling up on top of the dryer,
and it was starting to slide off.
Bella didn't really help much, but she was there the whole time, just in case.
Since this program and my computer take so long to upload photos, I actually have started some yard work, but am starting to think that Leo had it right at the beginning: It's a gloomy day in Knoxville (again!), my day off and a nap would be just the thing!
Happy weaving!
Maggie (and Leo, Bella and Weft)












4 comments:

LA said...

Ahhhh.....a nice cozy nap. That would have been nice. But, I'm glad you got some weaving time today. I can't wait to see your towels. You'll bring them when they're off the loom, right?

Bonnie said...

Leo, how cute. I thought it was a mouse or something. He so has the right idea. Where did the warm weather go? Yes, please bring the finished towels for us to see.

Tina J said...

Oh Maggie, I am loving the Leno lace! I am so glad you mentioned it last week! In fact, that's what my blog will be about tomorrow. I have my pictures and everything. I have a 10 yard warp put on, I plan to try a couple of different hand manipulated laces, plus some just plain, for my sanity.
I think a nap is always a good idea!

Tina J said...

Oops! I mean I will blog about it on Friday! It had been a long day!