Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Lying like a...

Rug! I have 4 new rugs in my house! On the left is the rug I made to finish the red and black warp on Jennifer's first project. Notice the color change, which my Tuesday Weaver friends convinced me is just a clever design element. It's under my feet right now, keeping them toasty.

On the right, we have the original project, made from strips of fabric I bought at a quilt shop I worked in, in northwestern Montana ten years ago. It was put to the test last night at a candle lit dinner for two. Unfortunately, the pets thought it was for them, and we had furry foot warmers during dinner. I love that it is the perfect exact size for my table!






And here, the piece d'resistance! The shag rug of my dreams! It just fits into my teeny, tiny bathroom, but what a joy it is to sink one's toes into! I learned a lot from this project, and hope to make many, many more shag rugs, in many different ways! The lavender rug is missing from the photos, but I couldn't get a good photo of it in its new home, at the side of my bed. It perfectly matches the accent wall in my bedroom, and my feet were happy to find it there this morning!















So, now it's time to warp for the first turned overshot project! 582 ends, 2 yards long. That's a lot of ends, but I love winding warps.


I have to tell you that I was interrupted writing by the cries of a small fluffy kitten. Weft finally figured out how to get on top of the kitchen cupboards, something Leo has never been able to do. Apparently, he was quite surprised, judging by the crying. And then, I had to make him wait until I found the camera! I hope your days are looking up!
Happy weaving!
Maggie

7 comments:

LA said...

Oh, Weftie....you silly kitty! I'm surprised he wasn't helping you wind your warp! I just love those rugs!!! I know they feel delish under your tootsies!

Life Looms Large said...

Those rugs look great! This post will probably inspire lots of aspiring rug weavers. I'd love to get that combo of rugs out of one warp!

Sue

Anonymous said...

The rugs are awesome! So glad you brought them yesterday to the center! It's one thing to see a picture, but altogether something else to feel them!
Used to have a wonderful cat named Remmy who loved to get up on high places like that and watch everyone! I still miss her!
Carol

Bonnie said...

Ok, can't wait to see the overshot that you do. Isn't it fun to try different things. Those rugs look great in their new homes. Your feet will love them too. I may have to try a shag. It sounds like fun.

Anonymous said...

I am sorry I missed out on seeing the rugs in person! That is what I get for painting ceilings instead of going to the center!

Linda

Tina J said...

I love the one that is under the table. It looks like it was made to go there! Wait a minute it was! That is what is so cool about weaving your own stuff. You can make it just as you like it. Way to go Maggie.

I wonder how many times you are going to have to "rescue" weftie from the cabinet. Cats are the darndest things.

Theresa said...

What a great bunch of rugs. That fluffy bathroom rug looks like it feels marvelous! Cute kitten, Did he help with the warp once you got him down?