Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Almost...


This week, I almost finished my scarf for the Knitting Olympics. Here, my model is shown wearing it with that nonchalant expression models are so famous for. I knitted until my wrists ached, knitted early and late, worked and rushed and worried, but to no avail. I will finish it this week, as well as the hat I'd planned to have done by the Olympics' closing ceremony Sunday night. Well, I might finish it this week. It is supposed to be in the 60's by Sunday.

Yesterday, after weaving at the center--I LOVE those place mats--I went home, cleaned up the house a very little, and sat down with a cup of tea to chart my next project. I've been very curious about Turned Overshot, covered briefly in Weaver's Craft Issue 26, "How to Turn a Draft." The issue concerns Monk's Belt drafts to a larger degree than turned overshot, but has one project in it. I became interested in turned overshot when we decided to use embroidery floss for our annual challenge, and thought it would be better to make something else in it first, to see if I could actually do it. I'm going to start with bathroom curtains, and since my bathroom window is 28 inches wide, I think it's small enough a project to judge it's applicability on the center challenge. I've chosen King's Flowers from Marguerite Porter Davison's book. I wrote out the existing draft, expanded it to include tabby in the draw down, then turned it 90 degrees. I'm pretty sure that, if you'd stopped by late last afternoon, you would have smelled something burning, that something being my brain! The yarn pictured are leftovers from the overshot pillows I made as my first project on Jenny, some 3 years ago. Those colors work in the living room, but they're also perfect for the bathroom. I'll team them with 8/2 homestead cotton in white. If it works, I'll be doing a much larger overshot flower in butter yellow, deep purple and dark olive on white cotton for the kitchen curtains.
But! None of that can happen until I get the shag rugs off the 8 shaft loom. If you turn an overshot pattern, you need 6 shafts, and that means I need that Colonial naked!

I have tried so hard to finish the shag rug today, but it just isn't going to happen. I still need to walk the dog, practice the piano and go to my piano lesson. I'm hoping I'll get it off the loom tonight when I get back, but I can't be sure! I would love to get it done tonight, hemmed during the week and on the bathroom floor soon.
Then thread the first turned overshot pattern and see if it works. And of course, blog about it next week!



And the lace towels continue to languish... I'm on inch 16 on the uneven heart towel, and probably have enough warp to make 3 or 4 more. And I will! Just not right now.

Until next week, happy weaving!
Maggie

5 comments:

LA said...

Yippee for you!!!! Turned overshot here she comes!!! I've got a few projects in front of that one, but one day...... Bella looks very spiffy in her new scarf!

Tina J said...

Oh yes! Turned overshot caught my eye as well! To tell you the truth, every issue has something that I am wondering if it will work for the scarf! Aren't we funny.
I do hope you will bring in the rug when you are finished. It looks so groovy one the loom, can't wait to feel it with my feet! LOL!!!

Bonnie said...

All the projects going on. I don't know what makes me more tired. Reading about all the stuff you have going on or babysitting my 4
grandchildren. I don't understand about the knitting olympics thing??

Maggie said...

Bonnie, Yarn Harlot, aka Stephanie Pearl McPhee runs a Knitting Olympics during the winter games. You're supposed to cast on during the opening ceremonies and be done by the closing ceremonies, 17 days from start to finish. This year, 4000 participated, including Tina and I. I fell short of my goal, but Tina finished. She's in the "kiss and cry corner," with all those figure skaters! Go, Tina!

Theresa said...

Oooh, nice! Turned Overshot should be lots of fun. I love going through Davisons book and plumbing for ideas.
Your model is QUITE lovely and carries that scarf off with aplomb.