Friday, May 24, 2013

Old and New

Last week I showed you the threading error that I found on my 9th towel.  Some may have had a hard time picking it out so I thought I might show you the wrong side of the towel too!  Again it is the left hand  side of the picture.  There are supposed to be two threads there, the front side is not quite that obvious!






I have corrected the error, and cleared a shelf to put a lot of the cones of yarn that I can use for this project.  ( I found this cool heather tan while I was clearing that shelf, and I gave it a try on the Swedish lace warp,  I think I like it!)


 They had been gathered around the cart where I had the bobbin winder.  I say had, because today, as I was frantically looking for the camera organizing a little bit, I rearranged a few things.  I put all the electric stuff, bobbin/pirn winder, sewing machine, and serger all on the same table.

 I gave them each the amount of room I will need to use them!  I also set up our old TV up there with a dvd player, though I am not so sure it is a good idea to have that up there!  I could only find a few dvds in the house.  I was either laughing at Jamie and Paul, from Mad about You,  you know the one when they brought Mable home.  Or I was crying through the first disc of the second season of the West Wing, (I am so glad that Josh made it aren't you!)  I am not sure exactly how much work I actually got done!


You may get tired of seeing the same things over and over again, and sometimes I have to admit that I am in need of something fresh, so I started thinking of a new mug rug pattern.  I had seen some hand towels recently using a M's and O's threading, with some stripes in the warp.  I thought that I might give it a try.


This is the first sample.





 It isn't doing anything for me!


So I abandoned the M's and O's and tried a twill with basket weave. 

Ho Hum.


There is where I left it, not sure what to do,  maybe I was too hasty, I probably need to try a different M's and O's don't you think?  This was probably not the week to try something new like this, I got a head cold early on, and haven't been able to put two and two together let alone something as complicated as coming up with a new weaving design!

There is also something else that I have in the studio, like this lovely fleece, that I just could not not sample!  It might be my next spinning project!

Very fine, long stapled Shetland.  I hand combed a little bit, and spun up a sample on the Clemes and Clemes, E-Spinner.

Oh, the softness, Oh the shine, Oh the possibilities!


But then, I looked up from the table in the studio, where I was eating my lunch, and I saw something that calmed my creative jitters.  



 Something that has entranced me for several years now, and I suppose the dance will go one for several more.

 Isn't it beautiful, isn't this why we do it?

Yes it is!  Until next time, Happy Weaving, Tina




4 comments:

LA said...

You know we love your overshot throws!!! They are just so lovely. Just save the M&O project for something else.

Susan said...

Perhaps give M's and O's a try again but this time use the same (solid) colour for both warp and weft. It was an early form of lace on two shafts.
Lace weaves look best on one colour, smooth yarns.

My favorite scarf of all time was M's and O's in cream silk.

Susan

Maggie said...

Someone has fiber ADD!

Bonnie said...

That is a good to know,thanks Susan. Solid warp with the solid weft for M&O. I will have to remember that.