Thursday, March 14, 2013

Tax Time

  This is the time of year that cuts into my weaving time!!!  It could be argued that if I only kept up with expenses throughout the year, that I wouldn't have to devote days of gathering information now.  But, that would require more structure in my life than I like.
  So, my looms will be lonely for the next few days....I'll walk by the Allen shawl from time to time and run my fingers over the developing pattern.  I have a broken warp thread that I will need to fix before I start throwing the shuttle again...but, so far, this has been a pleasure.  Although it doesn't show up well in the picture, the weft is violet Harrisville wool.

  Today I will be baking cookies for the Porch Sale at the Appalachian Arts Craft Center.  They always run a little bake sale to go along with the items on the porch.  This is one of my go-to recipes since it is SO EASY!!!!

Lemon Cookies
1 box lemon cake mix
1 Tablespoon lemon juice
1/3 cup oil
2 eggs (mine are Tina eggs)

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.  Combine all ingredients and roll into 1 inch balls.  Place on ungreased baking sheet, and bake for 12 minutes.  Edges should be slightly brown.  Allow cookies to rest on baking sheet 1 minute before removing.  Allow to cool before applying glaze.

Lemon Glaze
1 cup confectioners sugar
2 Tablespoons lemon juice
1 teaspoon grated lemon rind (optional, but gives the glaze a nice zing!)
  Combine and drizzle over cooled cookies.

  I'll need to bake these this morning so I can run them to the Center this afternoon.  I have plans for tomorrow:  Tina is ready to wind on a warp, and it goes so much smoother with two people!!!  I'll continue to gather receipts and enter them on the spread sheet (thank heavens they are all in the basket!)
  Maybe I'll cheat a little tonight and weave..........
Happy Weaving!
LouAnn

4 comments:

Maggie said...

Cake mix cookies??? OMG!!!
That Allen shawl warp is beautiful! Good luck with your taxes, and maybe I'll see you at the porch sale!

Tina J said...

My mom used to make those cookies! I love them, and I did't have the recipe, thanks!

Bonnie said...

Everybody needs a break from doing taxes. Beautiful shawl.

Sea Change said...

I just wanted to say hello (from a stranger!) and compliment all of you on your incredible work. I found this page by accident due to the mention of the book "Of Coverlets, the Legacies, the Weavers", as I have been searching for images of the book, which includes my great-grandmother Delilah Frances Pinkston Watson Batey as one of the weavers. No luck yet on that, but it was "serendipity" indeed to find this page and see all of your stunning textiles. Sincerely, Rosemary Nordstrom