Saturday, April 17, 2010

A Bat in my Belfry


This is the time of year when most people do their Spring Cleaning....but not at my house. I just move looms! While my sister was here to help, we moved the Baby Wolf, Julia, into the living room with John and Sally, and moved the Mighty Wolf, Annee, into my bedroom. I did vacuum really well and got the lint and loose threads up off the floor. (That counts as my Spring Cleaning!) When I went into the bedroom last night to take a picture for the blog, something was flying around my bedroom! After I quit screaming and hiding in the bathroom, I took a peek to see if I could figure out what it was...a BAT! Don't even ask me HOW it got in my bedroom....I don't have a clue! But, since the French doors were open to the porch, I turned off the lights and let it fly out there, and slammed the doors shut. I'll work on what to do about that later. Anyone have a net????

I wove some on John this week. It's getting down to the end of the warp, I think. I love this fabric with this warp, so I think I'll just keep weaving with it until the warp is finished. Wonder how long this rug will be?





I wanted to share this picture from my visit to the Appalachian Center for Craft last weekend. Student work was displayed in the weaving studio, and this piece caught my eye. At first I thought it might be linen, but on closer examination, I believe it is hemp. My friend, Dana, thought it might be hemp, also. It was so soft and I love the pattern.







Today I'm off the KMA to hear Libby O'Bryan speak about her work with Ann Wilson's Wind, Rewind, Weave project. After we view the exhibit, the Guild will eat lunch together. This is the last week of weaving on the project, which makes me a little sad. I have really enjoyed weaving on that cloth.

That's all for now, folks!
Happy Weaving!
LouAnn

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're going to miss that warp once it's off! It's been kind of like family for awhile, right?!
Do you think you can add screen doors to the french doors into your bedroom???? I think I'd have had a heart attack if I'd seen that bat in my bedroom!!
Carol

Theresa said...

Oh poor little bat, he doesn't want to be there either. I've usually just put on good heavy gloves, a hat and long sleeves, grabbed a paper bag and a small broom and try to corner the little fellow and put him in the bag and then release outside. Try to move him close to dusk if you can. They are sitting ducks in the daylight if confused.
I've woven with hemp and find it close to linen in how it weaves and it's certainly less expensive. Hm, so if I move my looms around I can call it spring cleaning too? Good to know! ;-)

Tina J said...

The hemp piece is beautiful! Now we have to try some of that! Hope your bat escapes all by itself!

LA said...

I found some heavy leather gloves and picked her off the screen and took her outside to a tree. She climbed up as soon as I put her on the bark. She made little clicking sounds as I took her outside!

Anonymous said...

I am glad you were able to move it outside. I know you must feel a whole lot better now.

Linda

Bonnie said...

I am glad you got the bat outside. Wow What adventures you do have.