Friday, October 14, 2011

Preparing for Fall!

 It is starting to cool down in these parts, the leaves are turning and then falling.  I wade thru them on my morning 2 miles with Scout.  We have cleaned out the chimney getting ready for those really cold days, and we have turned that once unruly garden into a playing field for the grandkids.  Dear One seeded it  just before the soft rains started falling 2 days ago.  I am going to keep a very small garden next year, this winter I will pile it high with compost and hay that the goats have wasted, that should keep the weeds down and the moisture in.  Dear One says that he knows how to take care of grass!

Chores are done for the day, inside and out, there is vegetable beef soup starting to really smell good in the crock pot.  As soon as I finish this post, I will be upstairs weaving blankets.  Wednesday I was able to weave 2 complete blankets, almost 100 inches!  That is pretty good for me!   Those 2 finished the 8 that I said I would do, for the fall show.  I will of course keep on weaving, but it is a relief to know that I have already done that weaving.  I may even be able to bring 12, who knows.

Here are some of the colors that I have already prewashed and ready to weave,



That is enough color to weave 14 more blankets!  I plan to do one of each color in each design, "Cat Tracks and Snail Trails", and "Kings Flower".  

I really am enjoying this project, I think that I will even have a hard time deciding which pattern to rethread for the Star pattern!  I have however begun to wonder what will be next, do I keep going with the baby blankets on both looms, or with just one loom and do something else with the other one.  I have begun to notice some of the yarn I have about the place.


There is this lovely 8/2 cotton that I bought a couple of years ago, it is in Navy and Tan.  It is starting to talk to me.     





There is also the yards and yards of 12/3 cotton I have on these spools.  and the 100 yd warps that are in the tubs, all white cotton!
It is starting to whisper too!  I just am not quite ready to listen yet, maybe after the first of the year I will have some time to think about it clearly. 

When the time comes, I will be talking to my fellow Tuesday Weavers, and see what we can come up with.  I love being part of this group, we are a support group really, just an email, or a phone call away.

My morning is getting away from me, I had better get upstairs and see how much I can weave today.

On Monday, I will cut off all the blankets that I have already woven, serge them apart, do the hemming, and then the washing,  and blocking.  I will then number and tag them for my records.  This Tuesday at the center, we will be doing our mock up for the fall show, which means that we are supposed to bring all the props we have and the merchendise too!  We want to see ahead of time how everything is going to look in our booth.  We like working out the kinks ahead of time.   We also want to see if we need to weave up anything else to increase our variety.

Until next time, Happy Weaving, Tina

4 comments:

LA said...

I can hear the wheels turning in that head of yours way over here!!!! I can't wait to hear what you come up with for all that lovely thread!

Bonnie said...

Lots of yarn to choose from. More fun project to do.

A Brit in Tennessee said...

I am simply amazed by your talents, weaving baskets is a craft I've always admired.
~Jo

Theresa said...

Oh my measured white warps just waiting to be set free! I admire your industry. That's a lot of baby blankets and all in such wonderful colors.