Friday, July 29, 2011

Reboot!

I am keeping my promise to myself to not stress about how much weaving time I am able to fit into any given day. 

Summer time is just too crazy for that!



I have finished the 2 light pink "Kings Flower" Blankets and just yesterday was able to wind enough of  the light blue bobbins to do 2 blankets in that lovely color in the same pattern.  (For a change, I don't even have to cut the woven blankets off the cloth beam to fill an order or to give as a gift, I can just keep weaving. I suppose that means that I am caught up or something!)


I was working on something computerish, and it involved downloading a bunch of stuff, so a lot of waiting time.  Well, I thought, I can wind those bobbins and be ready to weave  when I can fit it in!  I pulled out my spindle wheel and popped those bobbins onto the spindle, and I went to town treadling.  I can fill the bobbins much faster like this rather than the handcrank winder.  I have had to start using the cork from the end of the spindle wheel to hold the bobbins in place, it is just too much friction for my skin.

 
I downloaded and filled bobbins for about 2 hours, no rush, I knew I wouldn't be weaving that day, but they would be ready when I needed them.


When I am done with the blue blankets I will switch over to my other loom that has the "Cat Tracks and Snail Trails" pattern, and repeat the process.  2 pink and 2 blue blankets.  Then I may branch out and try some of the darker colors that I have pre-treated so that they won't bleed.  I think I will do a good 10inch swatch and wash it in cold water. (I am really needing the confirmation that the pre-treating has taken care of the problem.) I have plenty of colors that I know are good, so I have been staying away from those others.

I am almost ready to rethread the Cat Tracks pattern to something different.  I had one chosen, but I can't quite remember it.  That will probably happen late September though.  I want to have several blankets in each pattern for the Foothills Craft Guilds Fall Show, in late November.  I plan to have at 12 to 15 blankets, maybe more.  That would be 5 of each pattern if I rethread.  Then Overshot mug rugs, and maybe a few rugs.  It should be a good show with lots of variety.

I am happy with my progress and my new found peace,
 Until next time, Happy Weaving, Tina

3 comments:

LA said...

I just love the thought of you filling your bobbins on the spinning wheel!!!! Dual duty!!!! Finding just the right balance is the key right now...so many things to do!

Bonnie said...

I am glad that you have found a peace. Sometimes we just have to live a little and time will come to us.

Anonymous said...

Roxie sez
Oh bravo! Way to maximize your time, you clever kid.