Monday, February 26, 2018

Side Hobby

I haven't been weaving lately. I do hope to be able to get back to the warp on my loom soon, but instead I've been working on the project for a show in April.
Also, I have been finishing some embroidery projects. It's so easy. Sewing wool onto wool is pretty easy on the hands. You don't need a thimble because the wool is soft and you want to see the stitches. You use tiny pins to keep up with the pieces and I've learned a few tricks on how to make it work.
This is a pin cushion. It's about 5 inches tall. I used some wool that Tina brought to stuff it with. It's working out nicely. This was a kit but you end up making it the way you want anyway.
This little pin cushion I finished yesterday. It's about 5 inches across. Another kit but all they give you is the fabrics and a sort of picture. You decide how to position the pieces you cut out, colors to embroider them on with and how it's going to look. This one I filled with crushed shells, as in pecan shells. You can buy them at quilting shops. I like the way the cushion feels. I've got a couple of them that I filled with these shells and they hold up well.
This is just a little 12 inch wall hanging. I'm not sure what I'm going to do with it. When I got the kit, I got a little stand that it was supposed to fit on but it doesn't! Figures, eh? I may just pin it onto my bulletin board.
This wall hanging is about 24 inches long. I love the birds on this picture. I'm not sure what attracted me to the picture the most. I like the birds but those berries are cool and I discovered they're really easy to put on. Just one stitch.
See what I mean? Guess this little guy is ready to eat a berry.
A bird face on has a weird beak. French knits cover this little belly!
I hope to finish the stack of pieces for the show this morning. 
This weekend the invitation for a baby shower came. One of the boy quilts I need to make is pegged for that family so I need to get sewing. 
One of the quilts I posted recently was heading to Canada. The couple had chosen  not to know the sex of their baby. My cousin wrote that their new granddaughter was born on Friday! They're going to love that quilt.
I may not be actually weaving much and I choose not to knit, but there are so many things to make. My studio is always full of my projects!!
Until next week, keep weaving even if I'm not!
Carol

3 comments:

LA said...

Did you finish Chapter 2???? Another thing on your to-do list! LOVE those pin cushions!

Theresa said...

OMG, Carol, that is one of my favorite birds, a Red Breasted Nuthatch! Are you selling that charming piece?

Tina J said...

I love this, you are so talented!