Friday, January 12, 2018

All About Space

I have a problem.......


 As many of you know if you have read some of my previous posts, I bought 51 Jacobs fleeces last fall.  It was a big pile of fleeces, but what I hadn't planned on is that a clean fleece is twice the size of a dirty fleece.

Luckily I have used 4 of the big fleeces in some fleece rugs for the fall shows.  One rug sold and one rug I sent to the Shepherd, and then LouAnn took 2 of the lamb fleeces.



I began doing a little research on how to handle this problem.  I looked at "Space Bags" and other brands of vacuum bag type products, and I calculated the cost and found it prohibitive, for my situation.  Then I found something that I thought was the answer, it was a product called "BagButton", a reusable button that you use with a good quality garbage bag and your vacuum cleaner.  I ordered it immediately, and was dismayed to get an immediate refund because they were out of stock.  I then thought for a minute and realized that if I put some netting on the wand of my vacuum cleaner I might be able to get the same results.




I picked out a fairly good sized fleece, this is a kitchen sized garbage bag.  I divided this fleece between 2 clear Kirkland bags of the same size.  I put the netting on the wand and a rubber band on the bag.  I placed the wand into the bag and started the vacuum cleaner.

It worked!


Here is that same fleece, half the size as before.


There are 5 fleeces in these 2 tubs, I am hoping that the tubs will protect the bags a little bit.  I think I will be buying the Kirkland 33 gallon bags in the near future, I believe that the plastic on that size is a little thicker and that I would be able to get one of the bigger fleeces in one bag and not have to split it between 2.

There will still be a lot of fleeces at the house, but this storage idea has me looking at all my other fiber stash.  I think that I will be able to consolidate so much that there may be room for these new fleeces on the shelves after all!

Until next week, what is your favorite storage solution?

Tina 

1 comment:

LA said...

I'm so glad you got your "vacuum bags" worked out. I'll have to remember that quick tip!