Friday, August 29, 2014

Finished Poncho

I finally finished the handspun handwoven poncho that I posted about recently.  I had decided that it was too small and that I needed to make it bigger.  The good thing was I had just overlapped the ends of the poncho, there by doubling the fabric, since the pieces were a little too long to do it the normal way.  So I had plenty of fabric to work with.

The problem came however, when I lost the rest of the balls of yarn that I was going to use to crochet this baby together!  I looked high and I looked low, to no avail!  In the end, I realized that I was going to have to cut off some of the fabric to make it work anyway, and I would be able to use that yarn to finish the poncho.

I cut off the ends of the panels, only after I was sure it was the right size.  I left generous margins, and I had to unweave the leftovers, saving the weft as the sewing together yarn, and the warp as the new fringes.  It worked wonderfully, though I must admit I was a little worried I wouldn't have enough for the fringe, but I did!

I was going to get Dear One to take some pictures of me in the poncho, but we are having company tonight, and there are a million and one things to get done before they get here, plus it is really hot here too, so this will have to do for now.

This is the way a lot of people wear ponchos, and I might wear it this way on occasion,  but I try to avoid things that point to my backside.
So, I think I may wear it more with the points going down my arms, and that lovely stripe  coming down over my shoulder and down the front.

I crocheted around the neck edge to give it a little more strength, and as I said I did crochet the seams instead of sewing them.  There is just enough mohair in this yarn, maybe 3%, to hold everything in place forever.

Now all I have to do is wait for cold weather to try it out!

I have lasagne in the oven, the salad is made, and the sweet tea is brewing,  I had better go out and feed the goats, and all in the barn, so that I can get cleaned up before the company comes.

Until next time, Happy Spinning, Knitting and Weaving, Tina

3 comments:

Hilary said...

I love it Tina.......what size did you weave it? Did you add the fringe afterward??
It is very nice.

LA said...

I'm glad it all worked....you made careful notes, right?

Bonnie said...

Either way would look great on you. I just love and glad it all came together.