Thursday, November 21, 2013

Marvelous Technology

  Soon after I got up this morning, I received a text from a dear weaving friend.  She's headed home in a few hours.  That would not be so amazing, except that the text originated from across the Atlantic Ocean!  Isn't modern technology wonderful!!!!

  I resisted getting a cell phone for the longest time....I still don't think people need access to someone 24/7.  And, I have only been texting for about two years.  But, I have to admit that it's a nifty way to communicate with folks.

  Then, we have blogs that we read all the time.  I remember when I started weaving, Linda told me about Hilary's blog....then I added Run A Muck and Laura Fry to my personal list.  I learned so much from these folks! 
  It seemed like a natural progression for the Tuesday Weavers to start a blog.  After all, how many groups like ours do you know?  I think we're really lucky to have our weekly weaving sessions.  And, we learn so much from each other!

 


It's not totally unusual for someone at weaving to take out their iPad or tablet.....Marie uses one as a treadle minder!  And, Karin had her laptop at the Center on Tuesday working up the proposal for the Building Committee.

  Of course, many of us are friends on Facebook, and I also get updates from the group, 4-Shaft Weaving.    What a great way to get inspiration from other weavers.

  I know that several of our weavers are busy on Ravelry, but I haven't gotten too involved in that.  In fact, if I'm not careful, I spend way too much time online!!!!


  Lastly, thank goodness for weave design programs for our tablets and computers!!!  From really simple (like I use) to super-duper...there's a program to fit what you want to do.
  Weaving and modern technology:  a unique blend of the old and the new.
  So....how does modern technology figure into your weaving (and your life?)
  

Happy Weaving!
LouAnn

2 comments:

Theresa said...

LA, it is amazing how technology has changed the way we live and keep in touch. I still get a thrill when I receive an "old fashioned" letter, but I also stay in touch better with friends and family
and of course, my favorite blogs! I think for me besides the benefits stated above, electronic readers have made a huge impact. No more books sitting on shelves, less paper waste etc. I love the ease of a book reader from adjusting the print size to downloading another book in a series within minutes of finishing the previous book.

Hilary said...

I started blogging in 2007, and I am thrilled at how many wonderful people I have met. It has been amazing, and has totally enriched my life.