Sunday, November 3, 2013

Happy Birthday, Joyce!

 
 
Yesterday was my mother's 80th birthday!  My sister and I started planning  a surprise party for her this past summer when I was there for my birthday, and let me tell you, it was difficult to keep it a secret that long.  My brother Hugh came from Phoenix; my cousins Cathy, Annette, Cheryl and Jimmy came from Yakima, Atlanta and Oahu; friends came from all over the place.  My sister did the bulk of the work, since she lives around the corner from Mom, but I spent all day in the kitchen baking cakes and pies. 
My sister gives mean noogies!
  When everyone showed up, Mom was certainly surprised.  Hugh came Friday, and she figured that was the whole surprise, but when the cousins all came into the back yard, the surprise was complete.  And she was pleasantly surprised. 
Lots of food, beer and sunshine
Liz, me, Mom and Hugh
  She was feted the whole day, with friends and gifts and food and family.  We all had a great time, seeing folks we seldom see, some we've never seen, some we'll be friends with from now on.



and she liked her coverlet!

1 comment:

LA said...

WOW!!! The coverlet is beautiful!!!! And, Joyce looks so happy with her surprise party! I'm so glad you had such a wonderful time together.