Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Effortless

the underside
I've had quite an experience the last three days, working with one of the most famous pastry chefs in the world, Francois Payard.  He taught me so much, and I think our guests learned a lot from him as well.  But now, I'm in need of a little rest.  Most of my free time yesterday was spent imagining myself at the loom, weaving on this beautiful warp, with a pattern I'm loving to weave.  There are no threading errors, an easy-to-follow treadling progression and the ever-changing colors to watch.  I love the way the shiny silver tencel sparkles above the dyed bamboo, which also has its own shimmer.  This is going to be one sexy scarf!
Almost halfway through the first scarf!


But what I like best is the effortlessness of the work.  I can think about other things, watch HGTV holiday shows, pet Bella, look at the awful gray weather outside while I'm glad I'm warm and safe and dry inside.  I need this today!
  Because soon, I will have to deal with some unpleasantness regarding my sewer lateral.  Know what that is?  Did you know you have one of your own?  Did you know that if you own your house, you own your sewer lateral?  And that if it's defective, you can be forced to repair it or the city will turn off your water?  It will cost thousands of dollars, and must be done within 120 days.  My particular lateral sits under my 100 year old red maple, and so its life might be endangered, something I'd prefer not to think about today.  A couple of plumbers are coming tomorrow to give me some estimates, and I'm hoping my dear tree is able to stay where it is.  If you know of a good plumber in Knoxville, let me know!
  In the meantime, I'll be in the loominaria, weaving.  I hope you're doing the same!  Happy weaving!
Maggie

3 comments:

Bonnie said...

That will make a beautiful scarf. It is fun to weave an uncomplicated pattern. It will be nice. Glad you had such a great experience with the famous pastry chef.

LA said...

L O V E L Y !!!! And, it's nice to know it is as much a pleasure to weave as it is to look at!

Tina J said...

What a beautiful pattern! I hope tomorrow goes well for the Maple!