Monday, June 29, 2015

Lace Class

I spent 3 days last week making lace. There's never enough time to do everything that I want to get done, so being able to carve out 3 days is huge. There were only a few of us that were able to take the class but we were all excited to be there. As usual, we had Louise Colgan fly out from California to teach. The days flew by. You don't make lace quickly. It's slow. If you're working quickly, you can do a square inch an hour.
I fell in love with the teapot and cup and saucer pattern a couple of years ago and last year I worked on the teapot. It's almost done, not quite....I have the center panel left to do. I hope to finish it this year yet. I will have it framed once they're both done, like Louise did. It's the best way not to lose the lace!
This time I made the cup and saucer.
The whole thing is just 2 1/4 by 3 1/4. Small, tiny, little  braids and tiny pin holes that had to be sewn into. Frustrating but I did it!!
What you see is the back of the lace. Once I take out the pins and turn it around, you won't see all the knots.
Other people worked on different patterns, like the dogwood
Tulip. I may try this next year. It's not too intimidating.
Celtic cross. This would be a tough one!
Sea horse. I've done this one and actually have a second one half done on a pillow...

That's all we got done in class. Our eyes are a bit strained. Might need to bring ott lights next time and maybe magnifying lights to see where to find the tiny bar we're to sew into!
It's fun and I'm already looking forward to next year.
Now it's back to weaving this week. 
BTW, I'm the fourth from the right in the picture. I know it's dark but that's the best I have right now.
Until next week, keep weaving!
Carol



4 comments:

LA said...

I know how much you enjoy weaving lace....the results are amazing!

erin said...

Carol, thank you so much for posting these! I had so much fun. It did fly by, didn't it? I'm proud of you for doing those sewings! I just noticed the swirly knot is suspiciously devoid of seeing. Hmmmmm.

erin said...

That was supposed to be "devoid of sewings". I despise auto-correction, particularly when it's incorrect.

Sherry aka Celtic Dream Weaver said...

Erin finished her lace piece. Looks wonderful too!!!!! I have to get my Honiton Thistle flower done.