Thursday, January 2, 2014

Starting The Year Off Right!

  Yesterday, the Museum of Appalachia posted on Facebook that they were fixing traditional good luck foods for lunch. That was just the motivation I needed to drive up to the Museum to do a little weaving in the Peter's cabin. 
  My reward was this lucky lunch:  black-eyed peas, cornbread, greens and fried cabbage.  (The blackberry cobbler was just my reward for the day!)  The menu was so popular that they ran out of collard greens right before I came in (that's why I had turnip greens) and I got the last serving of black-eyed peas!!!! 
  I heard one guy ask if there was maybe just ONE pea left in the kettle!!!! 

  It was a wee bit on the chilly side yesterday, around 31 degrees when I got there.  It didn't take too long to get the fire started in that lovely fireplace, and it was toasty just sitting and weaving.  I am just about finished with the Christmas ribbon that I had started last month.  I took more thread to start a new warp, just in case I got finished.
    But, I had such a fun time talking to folks about weaving, that I still haven't finished that warp!  One young couple from North Carolina told me about a friend of theirs that is working with the Smithsonian to set up an American Textile History Museum.  He has rescued a bunch of old looms from the textile mills in the northeast.  This is something I want to find out more about!  You just never know who you will meet when you are at the Museum of Appalachia!
  Last week I wrote about my goals for the new year, and come to find out, two of my Tuesday Weaver friends also want to play around with LACE!  Marie, Maggie and I are starting a study group to explore the weave structure of lace.  We aren't too sure the exact direction we'll go with our study group, but I guess we'll find that out, too.  If any of our weaving friends would like to join in, our first meeting is Sunday, 12 January, here at my house. 
  What a great way to start a new year, right? 
New things to learn and meeting new folks!!!! Life is good!
Happy Weaving to you in 2014!
LouAnn



 


2 comments:

Theresa said...

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't Hopping John?
a traditional New Years day meal? I want to say I might have even done one or two myself when I lived in TX. Regardless, lots of luck. Fried cabbage huh... ;)

Maggie said...

What a great start to a new year! I'm looking forward to our study group and hope other Tuesday Weavers join us. Can we see a picture of the Christmas ribbon soon, please?