Thursday, February 5, 2015

Not So Deep Thoughts


I have been weaving on my place mat warp when I have a few minutes here and there.  The first one was finished this weekend....I just needed to do the hemstitching.  On Monday, I was reading Laura Fry's blog, and she was talking about all the reasons we should sample.  The S word.

  OK.....that would tell me exactly how much shrinkage these would have.

  So, I wove in two sticks and cut this mat off of the loom.  After washing and drying, it measured two inches less in length, but just 1/2 inch in width.  I was really disgusted with the fringes....and that was my big surprise.





  I would always want anyone who had my placemats to enjoy them, and not worry about putting them in the washer and dryer.  I would want them to be used and used and used.  The fringes looked fried when they came out of the dryer.
  So, I am weaving in headers that will be folded for hems.  I also went with a lighter shade of green.

  Thank goodness for blogs....and folks like Laura sharing her wisdom with us.

  And now....a little glimpse of Spring.
  I know we have had it easy here in East TN, but, I'll admit I'm really tired of cold weather.  These paper whites remind me that Spring isn't too far away.
  Out in the yard, the Lenten Roses are starting to bloom, and I see that the crocus and daffodils are popping up, too.
  The little chickadees are gathering the cat fur I put on the back door mat.....that means they are starting to fluff up their nests.  (They only want Biscuit's soft, soft fur...none from the other two!)

  I need to get back to the place mat warp:  it sure would be nice to get these done and ready to go!  I can admire the flowers while I weave.

Happy Weaving!
LouAnn

1 comment:

Maggie said...

I've never been a fan of the fringe. You made a good choice! And those samples can always become other things.
I like the soft colors in the placemats!