Saturday, February 23, 2013

A Day Late!

Dear One and I went up to Gatlinburg on Thursday, to participate in a small retreat.  It was impossible to do my regular Friday post, but I figured today would work just as well.

I haven't made a lot of progress on my current loom warping projects, but I did make some progress on a knitting project that I have been wanting to do for over a year.  I had bought the book  late  last winter and I had found some yarn in my stash last week that should work up nicely, and decided that now was as good a time as any to do it.



The pattern is a cabled Wrap on the cover of the Vogue Wraps Two book.  The yarn is a really pretty blue tightly plied wool yarn that should show off the cables well.  It is not extremely soft but the swatch softened up remarkably after the spa treatment!





I actually have 3 of these huge skeins to work with plus a partial.  I don't even remember where I got this yarn!  It may have been in one of the donations that made it's way to the Center over the past several years, before I started keeping track a little better, who knows!

I began knitting earlier in the week, and I had a little problem with the cables until I could grasp the general flow.  It is  really a pretty easy pattern, and not too difficult, after the first couple of times through, to manage without a lot of row counting!

I use a double pointed needle  as my cable needle, but I rarely knit off of it, I usually slip the stitches back on the left hand needle to work them.  I knitted in the evenings before our trip on Thursday, I knitted on the way up to the Great Smoky Mountains, until the road started getting too mountainous that is.  I also knitted during the evening free times that we had.  I did some correcting of errors along the way, so not as much progress as it might have been.

I plan to increase the length of this project from 12 repeats of the pattern to at least 15.  I read several reviews on Ravelry on this wrap, and they all agreed that when worked according to the pattern is was much too short. ( The picture below shows  about 2.5 repeats.)

We are now back at home, the laundry has been started, we have taken a wee nap, and I am trying to decide what else I need to get done before I can sit down once again with a cup of something hot to drink, and knit a row or two.



Until next time, Happy Weaving, Tina

3 comments:

LA said...

I'm glad you got some time to knit during your retreat. What a lovely pattern.

Bonnie said...

I love that pattern. Looks like fun to knit.

Maggie said...

It's because they use those teeny-tiny models! They make everything look bigger!