Thursday, December 21, 2017

The Grinch and Mr. Scrooge


Remember that part of the Grinch story when he had his epiphany? 
  "Maybe Christmas," he thought, "doesn't come from a store.  Maybe Christmas, perhaps, means a little bit more!"
  I always want to give a little bit of "me" at Christmas.  Something that came from my hands.  Now, don't get me wrong, they also receive something else.  But I like to make something at this time of the year.  I decided to make cup cuffs....they all drink coffee!
  This project was an experiment:  use up some of my partial cones of 8/4 and make a usable item.
After rethreading the pattern three times, I settled on my old favorite, Snail Trail.  It's always a winner!  I only warped 3 1/2 yards.  You can see that the warp was multi-colored, and I played with different pattern wefts. 
  Although this was 12 inches in the reed, after washing, it was 9 inches wide.  I tried just folding it over to make the cup cuff, but it made a bulky cuff.  So, I tried using fabric for the lining.  I did use some lightweight interfacing to give it some body, which was just the ticket! 
  I should also say that I found some earth friendly coffee cups that are cork, and reusable!  This is going to work just fine!!!  Tomorrow I'll find out what the kiddos think of my project!


  I've been doing a little cooking, too.  Thanksgiving weekend I made fruitcakes using dried fruit that I soaked in brandy for 24 hours.  I have been basting them every day since them with brandy...they smell very nice right now!
  Yesterday, I got my Scottish Tablet made, and it's getting mellow in the tin.
  Then, last night I made Reindeer Poop.  A little salty and a little sweet!  This is a good snack to have on hand for those folks that are dealing with the public this week.

  And, that's where this batch is going!

I am at the post office nearly every day, and I see those clerks deal with a wide variety of folks!  In fact, some folks come in with their Scrooge faces ready to scream "Bah Humbug" at their awaiting audience.  It's not the clerk's fault you waited until today to mail your package to Alaska!!!!
  Those folks get the same service as I do, and I'm thankful.
  I just hope this power snack will help them smile and carry on.
  I hope you're ready for your celebration (or getting close to being ready!)  
  Holiday cheer to all......

LouAnn  

2 comments:

Theresa said...

Oh my Scottish Tablet, I haven't had it in years and at that only a handful of times.
Care to share your fruitcake recipe? I have yet to find one as yummy as my Grandmothers and alas, that recipe is long been lost. Reindeer pop indeed....can't we just call Elf munch?

Tina J said...

Merry Christmas LouAnn!