Monday, December 11, 2017

Speaks To Me

I like to go to quilt shows. The quilts are cute but it's the vendors....what's not to love about booth after booth filled with tempting quilt things?
So several years ago I went on a bus trip to Columbus OH to one of these quilt shows. It was a 3 day, 2 night deal.you get all excited seeing everything and processing in your mind how things were made, etc and the you see something that stops you in your tracks. That speaks to you.
This was the quilt. As usual, the picture isn't great but hanging in the booth, this one stopped me in my tracks. I kept going back to look at it and finally bit  the bullet and bought it.
The kit sat in a basket (with others) for several years. I took it with me to my sister's place in summer and had time to cut it out.
Then it sat  til my shows were done and I has time to sew.
It's not the biggest throw but perfect for the sofa. Plus, it's flannel. My cats will love it! The center of each block was cut from a panel of these pictures. Then the hard part. You had to sew little pieces of rectangles, squares and triangles together and sew them onto the blocks.
The instructions said to get a 10 square ruler, well, really 10 1/2 inch, and place it at a diagonal on the square and cut it out. 
They have a really neat cutting mat that can be turned so you don't have to move the square. That's what I used. Cutting the squares wasn't a problem at all, then assembling it and taking it to the center with the batting and backing to pin. The tables at the center are perfect for that especially if you use the risers we use for dye day!
Machine quilting mostly in the ditch,adding binding and done! I love the pictures in the center of each block.
I like the pattern and may use it again for another project. 
I'm still not weaving right now and most of the projects I'd started are done but today I hope to sew a bunch of blocks together for a quilt I've been dabbling with for months. If it works, my sister's friend will quilt if in summer, I don't machine quilt queen size quilts.
Until next week, keep weaving. 
Carol

3 comments:

LA said...

WOW! Great quilt!

Theresa said...

Lovely Carol! It's quite an awesome quilt.

Tina J said...

A flanel quilt sounds really cozy, and I love the tilted aspect of the squares. Are you bringing it to the Center so that we can see it?