Friday, September 8, 2017

A Little Make Over

Last winter, Polly helped do some repairs on the loom that has been with me the longest.  Lillian is a Burchard loom from Oakland California, and that is the loom that got me interested in weaving in the first place.   There was some damage to the sectional beam and Polly put things to right, love her!   Since then there has not been a warp on Lillian, life has been busy and there has not been the usual level of weaving around here.

I had also bought a couple of years ago a rigid heddle loom in order to weave with my hand spun.  I thought that the heddles that were on my floor looms might damage the hand spun warp.  I have not been pleased with the rigid heddle and mainly it is because my hand spun yarn is too fine for the setts that I had available to me on the rigid heddle.  To make a long story shorter, I sold the rigid heddle and bought some inserted eye heddles for Lillian!



This week I put the new heddles on and I already love them!  They slide so easily on the heddle bars!  (I ordered some more, just in case I want to use some really fine threads)  Now the loom is ready to go to work.












I have this skein of Alpaca, Romney lamb with bits of silk that I have been wanting to use in a shawl warp.  I am winding 2 inch bouts on the warping board, and then taking them to the loom, to put them on the sectional warp beam.














I threaded the bout thru the card that I usually use on the tension box.  I didn't want to use the high tension that the tension box would create.












Here is the first section on the loom.  I love the beginnings of a new project, it is all so promising!  Over the next week, I will get the other sections loaded as I have time, and I have to choose the weft,  there are several to choose from, I may just have to do some sampling.

Until next time, Happy Weaving, Tina

2 comments:

LA said...

That shawl will have such a sheen.....I can't wait to see how it weaves. This project is perfect for Lillian!!!

ally said...

Hi there! I found your blog while researching Burchard Weaver looms. I just acquired one and am looking for more information about the brand. Mine sounds a lot like yours - it's a 4-shaft counterbalance.

I liked reading all your posts about Lillian. I named mine Edna. :)

Ally