Friday, May 26, 2017

Change of Plans

I had settled in my mind that I was going to clean a lot of fleeces this week and last week, and you know what, it didn't happen!  Oh well, they are still on the back porch waiting for me.  I had a bunch of other things this week, but I did manage to fit in some time to spin on a new spinning project.

I have had these braids of Blue Faced Leicester  top (Freckled Faced Fibers) for a long time, but I didn't know what I wanted to do with them.  I had bought them from a fellow fiber person, and it had been a custom dye job that she had not used after all.
I had been thinking about these 4 braids since I had gotten them, I knew that I wanted to use them together somehow, but I couldn't wrap my head around what would work best.
It finally hit me that if I divided them up, I could get 2 nice gradient skeins of yarn, and I could then weave a shawl or two,  from dark to light in both in the warp and in the weft!






I split each braid in half short wise and then longwise.  Then I then I split each 1/4 of a braid into 8 pieces.  I laid them out in color order darkest to lightest.















Then I bagged them back up into the original plastic bags, except somehow it doesn't fit  in the bag anymore.  I was sure that this was going to be a long spin, it is 4 braids after all.











I have been surprised that I have been able to get 2 bobbins full spun  in my spare time and in the evenings and I am working on my 3rd.











This is a cool shot, because you can see that I have finished the lighter colored bits of fiber and I am now going into the medium tones.











There is only a little bit more and this bobbin will be finished too.  Today I picked up the Woolee Winder for my Hansen e-spinner at my daughters house.  It goes back and forth between our houses.  We don't like to spin on the Woolee Winder, but we sure love to ply on it!


So even though I have not had a chance to get any more fleeces clean this week, I did get something else that I have been putting off under way.

I pulled 3 bags of sock loopers out of the back of my car. They had been hanging out in the car so that the next time I passed by a laundromat I would be able to toss them in all at the same time and get them washed all at once.  I quickly realized that it was never going to happen, so I have a load of them in my washer right now.  I am determined to get at least that done this week, maybe even tonight!  Shoot I may pull out the 3 or 4 bottles of the Rit dye I still have to use up and dye me up some more loopers!

I'm hoping that next week I will be able to get some fleeces washed.  It doesn't look like I have washed any of them when I look at the pile, but I know I have 3 cleaned and sorted fleeces upstairs waiting on the next steps, and that tells me I have made a little progress.  Just a little....

Until next week, Happy Spinning, Tina


1 comment:

LA said...

Yummy fiber goodness! Just what I needed to hear about! I do think that will make a lovely shawl.