Thursday, March 29, 2018

Thank You, Mary Black!

  The Tuesday Weavers have been reading one chapter a month of The Key To Weaving.  This month, we read Chapter 3, which was Plain Weaves-Loom Controlled. 
  Perfect!!!!!
  Last fall I decided I would weave log cabin rugs at the Museum this year.  Using two shuttles would give added interest to my demonstration, and I have a lot of navy blue fabric to use!  I came upon this project this winter in an old copy of Handwoven (October 1997) and I was even more sure of my decision to weave log cabin rugs!
   I just wasn't sure I wanted to weave ALL of them with the orange stripes.


  Mary E. Black to the rescue!!!!
Wouldn't you know it....she waited to the END of the chapter to give this gem of a suggestion (and I almost missed it!!!)  Just add in the stripe as a supplemental warp thread!!!
  Well smack my head!!!!  That's doable!  And, I can use different colors for the stripes!!!! 











  She also played around with log cabin in Chapter 3, which I really enjoyed.  There are so many possibilities with this weave structure!






  Thanks to Tina, I also decided to use three different shades of blue in the warp to give added interest.  Tina is weaving a rug (which she might blog about) and she sent me a picture where she used different shades of blue in the weft...it really give more depth to the rug.
  I'd like to get this warp on the loom at the Museum in the next few weeks....but, first it has to be wound!!!!

  Since John has returned home, I decided to give him a little TLC....those wires need replacing on the harnesses!  It just so happens that my BIL has a tool belt, and he knows how to use it!!!! 
  He's coming by in the morning to take a look, and there might be a visit to Home Depot involved.  (You know how that goes, right?)
  I'm just so thankful for folks who have special skills!

Thank you, Mary!
Thank you, Tony!


Happy Weaving!
LouAnn

2 comments:

Tina J said...

I those rugs will be beautiful! I’m glad John is getting some new harness pulley wires, he will be like brand new again.

Theresa said...

Oh pretty rugs! What a great idea. I really need to acquaint myself with that book. It IS in my library after all. I would love to expand Buttercup to 4 shafts. I think it can be done at some point.