Friday, August 25, 2017

I know how to fix that!

I was awake very early yesterday, I am on prednisone for my hip for a couple of days and that stuff messes with my sleep sometimes.  So I thought I know, I am going to go to the kitchen and get that second scarf woven, it is quiet and it won't wake up Dear One, who is the official earlier riser in this house.



I got up and sure enough by mid morning I had the scarf woven and the fringes twisted but even though I had increased the sett from 8 to 10 epi,  I still wasn't very happy with how open the weave was.  I had wet finished scarf #1 pretty aggressively and it was okay but not what I really wanted.  So I thought that I knew the solution, I can fix this.  I rounded up an old pool noodle and some bubble wrap and I went about the process of felting this scarf a little bit.

I think I ruined it!  There are some parts of the scarf that look reasonably good, but other bits have a bunch of tracking!  Tracking that looks like gullies running through the scarf.  Tracking with holes so big, shoot you could put a wooden bead through those holes.  Hmmmm, what did I just say?

A wooden bead would fit through that hole,  hmmmm.  How about some ribbon?  Well maybe some silk ribbon.  Okay folks, I have to tell you that when I started this post I was really disappointed with how the shawl came through the wash, and now I am getting a little excited about it!  (I am not kidding, this was real time!)

The title of this post was almost going to be "Watch 'is", you know the classic thing somebody says on the videos before they do something stupid, but I changed it before I started writing because I wasn't sure that it would be understood anywhere else but here in the south of the US.  Now I think that it is even more appropriate for my train of thought.

There is a possibility that I will not be at the Center on Tuesday, but if I am, I may bring the scarf after all for some brainstorming, also it is only fair to let the new weavers see that yes even us more experienced weavers are surprised by unexpected results.

1 comment:

LA said...

I'm sure there is a solution...you just haven't found it yet! I'm cheering for you!