Saturday, July 15, 2017

Vibrant Color

I was distracted this week by a new arrival.  LouAnn has kindly "long term" loaned me her rug loom.  I went to LouAnn's house on Wednesday to disassemble and transport the loom.  It was a hot day, and though we made short work of the "taking apart" phase of the project, we took an ice tea break before we loaded "John" into the truck.  I mentioned to LouAnn that the older I get the less fun this part of loom acquisition is, though I think if the heat index wasn't quite so high, I would have enjoyed it a little more.

We loaded up the loom and off I went to the other side of the Ridge, and after a glass of iced water, I took the loom upstairs piece by piece.  I have taken apart and put together many, many looms over the last 16 years, and this may have been by far, the easiest one yet.  Within an hour I was threading the colorful warp that was left on the warp beam.








LouAnn texted me later on that afternoon to see if I wanted her to come over the next day to help me put the loom together.  I sent her this picture, with the quote, "sometimes I can focus".









I had had the fantastic idea, or so I thought, to use sock loopers in a shag technique.  It was really terrible, really terrible in fact, so terrible I don't even have pictures!  As I was looking around to see what I could use on this colorful warp, I found a basket of colorful loopers already chained, from "Crazy as a Loom", they had been taken out of a failed rug attempt a long time ago.

It had been one of my first attempts at rug weaving and I had not taken into account the springiness of the loopers, consequently the edges had drawn in dramatically.  Those balls of chained loopers have been around several years, so when I found them stashed below the old sewing machine cabinet, I almost shouted "Eureka!"  Weaving down the magnitude of my stash is one of the reasons I wanted a rug loom in the first place.



I think these two vibrant rug ingredients are throwing a party!  This is the last of these vibrant loopers, but not the last of the loopers or of this warp, next up I will see what this warp does to a more sedate weft choice.

Until next time, weave a rug!  Tina

1 comment:

LA said...

I'm so glad that warp is working for you! I did a bunch of rugs, as well as tote bags, using those colors! Your looper rug looks great!