Tuesday, August 8, 2023

Tried and True

Here at the weaving Center in Norris, TN, we have a very good library that has been curated for years. Weavers leave there books to the library, and we keep an eye open for any new books that might fill a gap in our book collection. Basically there is little that gets past our watchful eyes. Despite this huge library there are a few of the books that we just keep going back to time and time again. The book I would like to highlight today we affectionately call the Green Book. It is Marguerite Davison's book, A Handweavers's Pattern Book. Many, many weavers began their weaving journey using this book.
Right now there are 4 of us using the Green Book. First up is Mariyln, She is weaving from a selection of 11 weaving patterns for one threading, that you can find on page 15 in my copy of the green book. The pattern is called Swedish Rose Path.
Next up is JP, he wanted to make sure that I put on the blog that he had to rethread this warp 4 times before he got it right! Again, like Marilyn, JP can choose from among eight different weaving patterns on this Rose Path threading. His pattern is on page 16 in the Green Book.
Jenny too is using the same book, she is on page 13 with the Traditional Bird's Eye sample. Jenny has 21 different patterns at her disposal!
I too am using the Davison book for my latest project. But I have left the Birds Eye and Rose Path and have moved over to BarleyCorn for the very first time! I had some trouble getting the threading right on this project. In fact I think the fifth time through was the charm! I also struggled weaving this design until I figured out that I was alternating tabby like I would with Overshot. That was a mistake, there are 2 plain weave treadles but only one of them is to be used for Barley Corn. My pattern is called "Rose Point Pattern" and I have 2 different treadlings and it can be found on page 86 in my copy of the Green Book.
I just have to show you the back side of this pattern, which I like every bit as much as the front side!
Liz was the only one taking a warp off that I saw today. This is the fabric she wove to use for bowl cozies.
Next week we will take a look at another book we just keep coming back to. See you next week, Tina for all

No comments: