Friday, March 15, 2019

Is Spring Really Here?

We have had more cold rainy days this winter of 2019 than I can remember ever living through.  (Did I say Gray rainy days, I meant too!!!!)  Anyway, over the last week, there has been a few warmer sunny days amongst the rainy ones and today, well it is glorious!

Over the years I have had mixed results with growing a vegetable garden.  The first year we were here in this old house, I asked my neighbor to please plow a garden plot for me in the field beside the house.  In my mind I saw  a 20 x 30 foot garden, when I got home from work one day, a week or so later he had plowed the whole field!  To say I was overwhelmed would be an understatement.  I tried my hardest that year to stay ahead of the weeds, but with such a large garden and very little experience it was hopeless.  There was however that one year, when I had a really good Spring growing lettuce, I planted early and in succession and I picked fresh tender lettuce right up until the first of June.  It felt really, really good to have had a success.


Baby Basil



Usually it is the weeds that smack me down big time,  the Basil goes to seed before I can harvest all of the goodness it provides, and usually the tomato plants threaten to take over the world, grudgingly giving me a few tomatoes for my trouble.  So many reasons to throw in the trowel.

More baby Basil





The last couple of years I have tried to grow just a few tomato plants, but I think my they needed a lot more sun to grow properly.  I have been energy poor for various reasons the couple of years.  This year however, things are beginning to look better, and as the weather began to warm up, I began to think about a better sunnier place to put the garden, and yes, I also started some seeds. Bibb lettuce, Zinnias (two varieties) rosemary, Basil, Tomatoes, Daisys, Columbine, and Cosmos to name a few.  Lots and lots!




Bibb lettuce



I am always of the mind that you should plant as many seeds as you possible can, because surely they will not all come up.  Funny thing is, they almost always all come up!

When these lovely little baby seedlings get a couple of sets of true leaves I will transfer some of them to separate pots, so that  in a couple of weeks my family room is going to be overrun with these little plants, (it has happened before, I don't know why I am surprised) and I will be bringing them to the center for my friends to enjoy in their gardens. Maybe I need to find a real greenhouse!







I have in mind a 20 x30 ft garden in that sunny field beside the house, but this year I have literally tons of waste hay from the goat barn to keep the weeds at bay, all I have to do is haul it with my trusty pitchfork and wheel barrow, and layer it on really thick.  I also plan to use cattle panel trellises for the vining tomatoes and prune those tomato plants really, really well to keep them in their proper places.  The flowers and herbs are going to join the veggies in the garden plot this year as well as filling in the flower beds around the house.

This year at long last, I am beginning to feel Spring in the air, and a spring in my step.
  Until next time, go ahead and get your hands dirty and plant some seeds, Tina

1 comment:

LA said...

You've got a great start with your bedding plants! I'm looking forward to starting my leaf lettuce....yum!!!!