Friday, May 12, 2017

Three Bags Full

I returned home Monday from my visit to my family in California.  I started working right away cleaning the fleeces I brought home from the Museum's Sheep Shearing on Tuesday.  The 4 Scottish Blackface fleeces have sticky tips and are going to need a bunch of flicking out before I wash them.  The other fleeces, 6 I think, just need a really good rinsing in the wheelbarrow with the hose before I set to washing them. They are really, really filthy and have a bunch of small particles of dirt that may not all come out in the wash, but once I set to them with my combs they will come out nicely.

The 4 Scottish blackface fleeces are interesting indeed, rugged, toothsome, strong and  full of kemp (small wiry hairs) which will challenge my fleece preparation capabilities.  I plan to comb them to get rid of most of the kemp then send them thru the drum carder to be pulled of in roving form.  I plan to use this rugged fleece as weft in handwoven rugs.  It would make really good rug warp, and I may get around to that as well.  The other 6 fleeces are a nice combination of Southdown and Shetland, strong, very springy, but soft and almost translucent.  I will be spinning these fleeces into yarn that will be good for hats and mittens.

Many Fleeces and Mouse the cat photo bomb



I only took white fleeces this year, they will take dye well should I decide to do that.  I truthfully did not need to take any fleeces this year, but how could I refuse free ones!

I have managed to get thru 3 bags  and I have 3 more to go (6 fleeces), but today, I ran out of detergent and I ran out of space to dry them (the 4 drying racks and the mesh bag).




We will have rain for the next day or so, that it is going to slow me down a bit, but I am determined to get thru these in the next week or so, I don't like having dirty wool around with grandkids coming and going.

It is good to be home again, until next time, Happy Crafting, Tina


2 comments:

LA said...

It should be interesting to see how the Scottish Blackface works up. They are very handsome sheep!!! I'm so glad that Mouse checked them out for any hitch hikers.

Theresa said...

I bet that Scottish Blackface would make a great knitted long lasting sweater. Not the next to your skin type but a primitive and hard wearing heavy warm cabled number, perfect for barn chores, and picking apples in late November.